Directed Randomness

When you are in the process of developing new concepts and ideas, using some form of directed randomness can be very helpful. There are many ways directed randomness can be introduced into your creative process.  It's best used when you are at a point where you want to open new doors to entirely new areas of thinking.

To better understand how directed randomness works consider the following.  I have a small library in my studio that is filled with books I have accumulated over the years.  When I am working on a project and I decide I could use some directed randomness I will stand in front of a book shelf, close my eyes and randomly select a book.  With my eyes still closed I will arbitrarily open the book to a section. I open my eyes and begin to scan the section I have found.  I then focus my mind on finding useful parallels and connections between the random passages and images and my project.


By selectively introducing this randomness into your creative process you are able to focus your problem-solving brain on entirely new areas.  It’s a way of willfully kicking your brain outside of the box it currently resides.  As you practice this technique you will better understand how and why it is so valuable.  As you come to understand why this method works so well you can begin creating your own techniques to meet your unique challenges.

Another approach I like that helps me achieve this controlled randomness is a haphazard online search with preset rules.
For example:
     1-Have an objective in mind.
     2-Go to Google’s main search page and type into the search box any two words that come to mind. 
     3-Go to the fourth and fifth words of the fourth search result and type them into the search box.
     4-Go down the new search results page and brainstorm connections to your objective.
     5-When you discover one that really works go with it.

A quick demonstration of how this might work:
   1-Objective: to improve a paperclip
   2-Two random words that came to mind: “Light Shade”
   3-4th & 5th words that appeared in the 4th search result: “Two Disc”
   4-Brainstormed connections to objective from search results page:
      -Paper clips could be shaped like a musical note
      -Paper clips could be shaped like famous musician caricatures
      -Small square paper clips could have famous musical CD art on them

This random online brainstorm demo took about four minutes and it allowed my mind to consider completely new areas of thought that might help achieve my objective.  Give this method a try and let the new connections propel your imagination into genuine discovery and innovation and you will be amazed by this methods productive value.


          In a nut shell

   1-Use directed randomness
   2-Open a book randomly to a page
   3-Scan the page for useful connections to your project
   4-Do the same with random online searches
   5-Understand why it works
   6-Create your own directed randomness approach


Quotes
Roger Bannister


(Talking about breaking the four-minute mile.)

“No longer conscious of my movement, I discovered a new unity with nature.  I had found a new source of power and beauty, and a source I never dreamt existed.






Videos

David C Roy's kinetic sculptures are wooden machines that are wound up for hours of uniquely interesting motion.  To explore his work further I recommend his website Wood That Works.




I stumbled across this video recently and thought it demonstrated some interesting optical illusions with movement.  It gave me some interesting ideas and I thought it might spark some creative ideas for you.  See what you think.